What We Believe
Scofield’s lengthy, full doctrinal statement is available on request. Here is a simplified version of our doctrinal beliefs, which mirror the full statement.
- We believe the Bible, the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments, to be God's Word. It is inerrant and infallible and teaches truthfully on whatever subject it addresses.
- We believe in the trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit, one in essence, being manifested in three distinct persons.
- We believe God created the world, and all life, including human beings.
- We believe in the full deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His atoning death on the cross, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of God and His personal, visible, future return to earth.
- We believe that God created our first parents good but that they fell into sin and disobedience, bringing sin and judgment upon the whole human race.
- We believe that salvation from God's judgment is only possible by appropriating the work of Jesus Christ on the cross by faith. We receive this salvation when we believe on the Lord Jesus and trust fully in His atoning sacrifice and blood.
- We believe in the new birth (regeneration), which is effected by drawing graces of the Holy Spirit according to God’s electing mercies. The new birth comes by saving faith in Christ and grants the gift of new (spiritual) life and the gift of eternal life. Salvation comes therefore by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
- We believe the Gospel is the basic message of the Bible and the church. It is God's proclamation of salvation from His judgment. We believe it is to be preached to all men.
- We believe that whoever truly trusts in the finished work of Christ for salvation receives the gift of eternal life and is eternally secure. That is, a person who has truly experienced the new birth cannot lose the salvation that God has given.
- We believe that each Christian receives the gift of the Holy Spirit at the moment of conversion. The Holy Spirit convicts, regenerates, sanctifies and gifts the believer for service to Christ.
- We believe that the Devil is real and that he has a host of evil powers called demons that assist him in destroying the lives of people and turning them from God.
- We believe that the Bible teaches that upon death the believer passes immediately into the presence of Christ in Heaven. Unbelievers pass immediately into Hades and at the final judgment are sentenced to be eternally separated from God (Hell).
- We believe there are two ordinances instituted by Christ. Baptism is to be administered upon profession of faith in Christ. We believe that communion is for believers and is designed to remember and proclaim the Lord’s saving work.
- We believe that Christ's second coming will be "pre-tribulational" and "pre-millenial." That is, that the church will be caught up to be with Christ prior to the great tribulation and will return with Him to rule on the earth in a 1000 year kingdom after the seven year tribulation.